The Hard Hitting News

A carton depiction of the dangers of football

Photo courtesy of http://www.fotosearch.com

On the final play of a Bogan High School football game on October 23, 17-year-old Andre Smith stumbled off the field. After a hard hit to the head, the crowd was temporarily relieved to see him get up and walk. Seconds later, he collapsed on the sideline and was rushed to the hospital where he died hours later, according to CNN. Tragic events such as this one have occurred over and over. In this past year, there have been seven concussion related deaths in high school football games nationwide, with four in the last two months alone. Although most concussions don’t end in death, the issue of concussions still affect many people throughout the country, and it is especially evident in Aspen.

Because we live in an area that puts a lot of emphasis on sports and fitness, I have noticed a common theme of concussions among many of the student athletes. Everyone- myself included- seem to have their own experiences with head injuries. This is because we continue to compromise our health and wellness for the sake of sports and other activities.

Concussions aren’t just associated with football anymore. It is possible to get a concussion doing almost anything. According to the Head Case Company, one out of every five student athletes get a concussion every season, and very few people are acknowledging the actual threat of concussions. It frightens me that our society has come to see concussions and head injuries as a common occurrence that can be overlooked. As a community we need to take action and rethink the way we play sports.

As someone who has had to overcome a fairly serious concussion, it bothers me that we are not doing everything in our power to protect our brains. At the end of 6th grade I got a traumatic brain injury that resulted in a year of recovery. In that year, I had to relearn how to walk, complete basic equations, and many other things that I once considered elementary. It’s terrifying when you can’t figure out why your leg won’t move, or why you suddenly can’t remember addition. It was a year full of doctors’ appointments, physical therapy, vision therapy, tutoring and occupational therapy. Even though I was eventually allowed to play sports again, I am still required to wear a helmet for lacrosse. After going through all of that I am extremely aware of concussions and the impact they have on people.

I believe that we need to be more aware of the long term effects of head injuries. I also think that it is important that we take every precautionary measure to protect ourselves from damaging our most vital asset. For example educating yourself about the symptoms and dangers of concussions can help to spread awareness and knowledge. Many of the more serious concussions result when players or coaches ignore the symptoms of a concussion and continue to play. Being aware of the dangers of continuing to play is vital to avoiding this issue. It is also important to wear the correct equipment at all times, no matter how ridiculous you may think it looks. This is especially important considering all the deaths this year, because no sport is worth your life.