Field Hockey at AHS: Not Yet a Sport?

Last year’s team is psyched for another season!

Last year, for the first time in AHS history, students and coaches came together to form a girl’s field hockey team. This team was expected to become a true high school sport this year and play in a competitive league, but their dreams didn’t come true. The girl’s field hockey team remains a club sport. However, this has not affected the team’s positive attitude this season.

There are only thirteen high school field hockey teams in the state; none of which are on the Western Slope. According to the participants and coaches, it is not a realistic option to leave school for an activity that offers competition only in the Denver area.  Until there is more regional competition, the school will continue to monitor how to offer competitive opportunities to the field hockey athletes.

“They have explored the option of offering a hybrid schedule, where teams could travel to one location on a weekend and play a few games in one day, and found some interest with the idea,” Silvana Cura, one of the team’s three coaches said.

Cura, Barbara Frank and Lauren Nitti started coaching for the first time last year. Cura is from Argentina where field hockey is extremely popular for girls. She was introduced to the sport in elementary school, and competed competitively for the entirety of her school life. After high school, she stayed and became the assistant coach for her old team. After she moved to Aspen, Cura was offered a coaching job by the Aspen Recreation Department.

“I got very enthusiastic by the idea of bringing the sport I grew up with, and that gave me so many wonderful moments, friends, and trips, to the valley,” Cura said. “So, I accepted and brought other former players along to help.” She is conversing with the USA Field Hockey administration, and is hoping to create more of an interest and teams throughout the valley. Cura and the other coaches are looking forward to another great season with about 30 girls, all who are excited and open minded.

Sophomore Taylor Pattillo was hoping that it would be a high school sport, but on the other hand is content with it being a club sport for now.

“It’s nice because everyone is learning the game, and I think competing at a high school level, at least this year, would add some pressure,” said Pattillo. She also loves her coaches and the easygoing vibe.

Although practices began after Labor Day, they are still open for anyone interested to come out and join the club team, that is!