School Spirit: A Follow Up

Photo courtesy of Leah Moriarty

AHS Spirit Team and Athletic Director Martha Richards

On the Friday night homecoming football game, an avalanche of rowdy AHS students filled the stands to capacity wearing white from head to toe. The large turnout and loud voices lifted the energy and spirit of everyone there. Football games can sometimes feel awkward if the crowd doesn’t go all out and participate, but this homecoming game exceeded expectations.

“I love the chill that I get when the whole school cheers and gets excited about football games and pep assemblies. We all have different backgrounds, opinions, etc. but in that split second, we are all cohesive and are pumped about the same thing and that is really cool. I think it is important to get excited about where you go to school! We are so fortunate to go where we have the opportunities that we do and school spirit is a great way to convey our appreciation.” Said AHS Head Girl Francesca Seeman.

After a week of tremendous student participation in homecoming festivities, it was safe to say that Skier school spirit is on the rise!

The outstanding support for the football team on Friday deserves to be acknowledged, however, the student body could always improve on their attendance to the many other sporting events at AHS, such as basketball, volleyball, golf, cross country, soccer, lacrosse, and hockey. It is proven that crowd energy at sporting events benefits the performance and attitude of the players. Many of our teams have impressive statistics and deserve more crowd recognition than they get.

In years in the past, there has been a disappointing lack of students at AHS showing their Skier pride. The student turnout at school events has been low, there has not been enough support shown to student clubs and initiatives, and overall low enthusiasm when it came to the best part of highschool, school spirit! The Aspen High School Spirit Team has felt discouraged in years in the past by the inadequate energy of the student body at AHS. Each year In almost every head boy and head girl campaign there is a large emphasis on how they are unimpressed with our school spirit, and how outrageous it is to attend such an amazing high school and not have pride. Some students in the past have blamed it on having so many other priorities that school spirit is the least of their concerns. AHS has exceptional academic achievement, however, the student body is coming to recognize that school spirit is not just a waste of their time, but rather something that can help them enjoy these memorable years even more. Having an involvement in school activities can enhance a student’s high school experience.

There is no doubt that school spirit has been much better this year. The students at AHS are finally recognizing how much fun it can be to be rowdy, and show enthusiasm.

“I think the senior class this year has done an amazing job of encouraging everyone to participate. They are going all in, and being the role models that they are, that influences everyone else to do the same! Once one person is excited and makes a few other friends excited, the spirit spreads like a wildfire. It’s super cool to be part of one of the most spirited years yet!” Said Francesca Seeman.

Both Head Boy and Head Girl are excited for this year and hope that the student body keeps up the good work!