AHS Cross Country Team Runs To States

Photo Courtesy of Kyley Grogan

Sophomores Kyley Grogan and Greta Hansen having fun at a XC meet.

With snow beginning to fall and temperatures starting to drop, fall sports have come to an end. The AHS Cross Country Team has made it to the 2017 State meet. Qualifying for the state meet required the team to finish top four in the 3A region. The student athletes finished third, which means that they earned a spot in the final race.

When asked about this year’s season, sophomore, Kyley Grogan, said: “We’ve had a great season so far and grown as a team, while gaining more knowledge about ourselves and everyone else on the team. This season also brought a lot of success, which lead to us believing, that this season has been a better season.”

The cross country team has runners from all grades. According to coach Chris Keleher, there’s more than one factor that made the team better this year. “Having younger runners on the team is different. We also have a solid leadership from returning runners who stepped up to show their younger teammates what it means to be a member of the cross country team. How to work hard and not negotiate for mediocrity, how to have fun while practicing for and competing in a sport that most others feel is a punishment, and how to eat a lot of spaghetti,” Keleher said. 

The season brought sweat, blood, and tears, but apparently it has all been worth it, “It’s been a tough season, but making it to state just proved that all we did was worth it – even the super long bus rides,” Grogan said.

The majority of the team said winning their only home meet of the year, The Chris Severy Cross Country International, was the highlight of the season. It is said to be a challenging meet with solid competition, so winning that gave the team some newfound confidence that proved to be key in qualifying for the State meet.

During the season, the cross country team ran every day after school. According to coach Keleher, it has all been worth it, “Getting to run with the best, funniest, smartest, most genuine athletes in the school is reward enough. I would run on my own anyway, and each day brings a new reason to run for me, but sharing the trails and miles with the athletes I coach is the best way to end each school day,” Keleher said. “Not only do I get the chance to show them a little of the sport and lifestyle I love so much, but I also I have the privilege of getting to spend a few hours in their lives, learning from them, and sharing the triumphs and tribulations of being young again.”