Kyle Jones: Changing the Tone of the Music Department

Music teacher Kyle Jones, an avid fan of Deadmau5 and Odesza, wants to make music an intrinsic part of the culture at AHS. Jones, who also teaches IB Film, believes that music is an essential part of the AHS curriculum and is working to rethink the music program to make it more appealing for students of all abilities and interests.  

An accomplished musician, Jones began composing music when he was ten. His musical career started in the fifth grade when he was awarded first prize in the state of Colorado for a piece he wrote for the piano, an award he would win for seven consecutive years. As a senior in high school, he earned second place in a national competition, again, for composing a piece for the piano.

“I’ve played piano for 24 years. I wrote for my band and choir in middle school and high school. That’s my passion, I’m a performer. I perform up and down the valley,” Jones said. “I play regularly at the Riviera Restaurant in Glenwood. In the valley, I’ve music directed Beauty and the Beast for the Aspen Community Theater and Les Miserables down in Glenwood. ”

Before taking the job at AHS last year, Jones was a choir teacher at Rifle Middle School. When Jones was asked to start the Digital Music Elective at AHS, he made it clear that his mission was to promote an inclusive music culture that allowed all students, regardless of their musical backgrounds, to express themselves musically. Students in the Digital Music class have the opportunity to explore and learn the language of music through Ableton Live, a complex music production software system.  The digital music lab is located just outside the art room, alongside the computers used for graphic design instruction.

I want to spread the idea that whatever you’re interested in is worthwhile and valid. It’s been a great way to rope in more students who are passionate about music, but don’t necessarily want to pick up a trumpet. And as a pianist, I totally get the stigma about band,” Jones said.

A Colorado native, Jones’ interest in electronic music started in college while he was a student at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley.

“UNC is a classical music school, so I went as a piano major and learned a lot about Mozart and Beethoven. But, it was always kind of tough for me because my passion was for EDM and the electronic music scene,” Jones said.  “When I was in college I really felt like my music was discounted. It moved me, I felt it, and it impacted my life in a lot of ways. But it was not the elite world of classical music, so it wasn’t seen as fitting in the mold. ”

Jones hopes to inspire a stronger musical culture at AHS and in the Aspen community. Already this year, he has relocated the band room from the middle school into the Black Box Theater, which is now a hub for students to collaborate and practice their music during free periods or lunch. Additionally, Jones hopes to produce a showcase for his Digital Music students at the Belly Up, where his students can perform their original music for their peers.  

“Music is my passion, I play piano two to three hours a day. For my whole life, I’ve known this is the one thing I want to do. In Aspen, I don’t sense that commitment to music from the community and from students as much,” Jones said. “I would like to change that. I would like for everyone to understand that music is one of the harder things you’re going to do in life, like being a nordic or downhill ski racer. This is a technical, artistic skill, and it requires practice, diligence, and studying. I would just like to see that commitment level increase across the board.”