AHS Cancer Conference brings new dimension to IB curriculum

The Cancer Conference that took place at AHS on February 27 gave IB Biology and IB Health students the opportunity to understand the real life application of the complex topics they are learning about in the classroom.

The annual Conference, which became an integral part of the IB science curriculum five years ago, was inspired by discussions about cancer research held at the Aspen Ideas Festival. Karen Zohar, who currently teaches Health and IB Psychology, originally brought the event to AHS and spearheaded the operation until IB Biology teacher Sarah Benson took over. Over the years, the event has evolved into an intensive day-long lecture series.

“When the event began it was structured in a very different way. It was set up as a science fair type-event, where students would do some research and conduct an experiment. Then, the professionals would walk around judging their presentations and give them constructive criticism and feedback,” Benson said.

For the past few years, the Conference has been presented in a lecture format, in which leading researchers and scientists speak to students about their scientific backgrounds and current research. After each scientist presents, students are split up into smaller groups for Q&A discussions with each individual scientist.

“The event allows students to see a few different perspectives from leading cancer researchers,” Benson said. “Students have the chance to understand that there is more than one type of person or one type of path you can take to become a working scientist in a field that relates to our curriculum. I think it is really important for students to have that type of exposure. It is a super unique experience.”

Curtis Harris, a distinguished oncologist and researcher at the National Cancer  Institute who has been involved with the Cancer Conference since its inception, selects two scientists to give lectures and lead discussion groups. This year, Harris selected Dr. Lydia Finley and Dr. Frank Slack to discuss their cutting edge research projects and their unusual career trajectories.

Finley is an Assistant Member in the Cell Biology Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. Her laboratory investigates the mechanisms that link metabolic pathways to cell fate decisions.

Slack is Director of the Harvard Medical School Initiative for RNA Medicine hosted at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and also a Shields Warren Mallinckrodt Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School. Slack gave a presentation about growing up in South Africa during apartheid and his current research focused on the therapeutic uses of microRNA for cancer treatment.

“I want to go into pediatric oncology, so it was awesome to hear from world renowned oncologists about their latest research,” AHS senior Sarah Ben Hamoo said. “I was able to sit with them and ask them questions which was also super cool. I was intrigued by Slack who spoke about microRNA and how that can connect to cancer. I didn’t even know microRNA was a thing, let alone that it could potentially contain oncogenes or that it could prevent or treat cancer.”

After a full day of attending lectures and group discussions, IB Biology and IB Health students were weary but appreciative of this unique learning opportunity.  

“I think having the Cancer Conference at AHS is just really exemplary of how even though our school is located in a small town, we have incredible cultural and intellectual resources,” Ben Hamoo said.