AHS Students Go International with Joey Dziedzic

AHS students on Joey Dziedzic's trips, posing in Granada, Spain.

Photo courtesy of Ava Mackie

Photo courtesy of Ava Mackie

Traveling to foreign countries and places gives the traveler a chance to learn and grow, both as a person and intellectually. Recognizing the many benefits of travel, AHS Spanish teacher, Joey Dziedzic has decided to take AHS students on annual trips to various countries in Europe.

After chaperoning a trip to Spain last summer, Dziedzic started a tradition that he hopes will give many students the chance to experience the world from a new perspective. The 16 person trip will be traveling to Berlin, Munich, Paris, and Barcelona, giving AHS students the opportunity to learn about European culture, people, and history.

“I think that the trip went very well last year. I believe that all the kids had a very good time and got a lot out of it,” Dziedzic said. “This year we will be going on a 16-day trip to Berlin, Munich, Paris, and Barcelona. We are going to be taking 15 kids, in addition to me, my wife, and our guide from Spain and this trip is going to cost around $5,500 for each individual student. Some of the highlights of the trip will be the beach in Barcelona, the historical tour of Berlin, and the Louvre in Paris.”

Having gone on an Ex-Ed trip to the San Juan Islands with Joey, AHS Junior Arnold Muasa feels that Dziedzic is a great leader and believes that he is more than up to the task.

“Last year I went on the San Juan Sea Adventure Ex-Ed, which Joey leads. Throughout the trip, I thought that he did a good job with every challenge that occurred, such as settling disputes or organizing the day, while remaining a friendly, chill person. Joey being the leader of the Europe trip is one of the main reasons for why I might apply,” Muasa said.

However, this upcoming trip and future trips are specifically designed for motivated and flexible students. Trip leader Joey Dziedzic is looking for open-minded students who will appreciate the opportunity and won’t complain.

“I would recommend the trip to somebody that likes to travel and enjoys culture and art. Someone who is open-minded and willing to walk and explore the places we go. Mainly whoever likes to travel, see the world, hang out, meet people, and those who appreciate their surroundings,” Dziedzic said.

AHS Sophomore, Nick Mitchell, had the opportunity to experience Spanish culture last year on Dziedzic’s 2017 trip to Spain.

“Last year’s trip to Spain was one of the coolest trips I have ever been on. Every day we got to go out and experience different cities and places around Spain and learn about the culture. Being able to roam Spain and experience the people, food, and traditions gave everyone on the trip the chance to grow and learn.” Mitchell said. “The trip really showed me how different some parts of the world are and made me realize how much else is out there. I am so glad that I got to go and I hope I get to go back someday.”

Ava Mackie, also a Sophomore at AHS, got to travel to Spain with Dziedzic and strongly recommends Dziedzic’s future trips to any student who wishes to learn more about culture and travel.

“I really liked the trip because it gave me the opportunity to explore a new place that I wouldn’t have had the chance to go to otherwise. In addition to the travel I got to bond with new people as well as spend time with friends,” Mackie said. “I would definitely recommend the trip to anyone that wants to connect with new people, expand their knowledge of foreign countries, and experience new places and cultures.”