Rossina, Off to Ecuador

Rossina and her daughter pose on a family vacation to Asia in June of 2013

Whether you take Spanish or not, there’s no way you have missed the famous Rossina Allen. But her ten-year journey at Aspen High School is coming to an end, and she is off to Quito, Ecuador.

Allen, who was born and raisede in Colombia, isn’t just a Spanish teacher; she is a mentor, someone to laugh with, and a friend. There is no shortage of students who are going to miss Allen. Sophomore Mackenzie Langley and Mackenzie Conner, and junior Caroline DeRosa are just a few students who have been positively impacted by her spunky personality.

“Rossina’s enthusiastic attitude and ability to engage the class made Spanish with her a wonderful experience and I will miss her very much,” Langley said.

This enthusiasm that so many people love is obvious to all students that she has had in class.

“Rossina was one of my all time favorite teachers and that’s saying a lot,” DeRosa said. “I can’t image what Spanish classes are going to be like without her.”

Allen was passionate about what she taught and all that her students learned was reflected in that.

“I am lucky enough to have Rossina as a teacher this year and it’s safe to say I enjoy every minute I spend learning Spanish from her,” Conner said.

Why, you may ask, is this fan-favorite teacher leaving her home of AHS and Aspen as a whole? She is leaving her home of ten years to live with her long-time boyfriend in Quito, Ecuador.

“We’ve been having this long distant relationship for about four years now,” Allen said. “He has been here to visit me a couple times, he was actually here two weeks ago.”

In class, Allen has been described as fun-loving and enthusiastic. Out of the classroom she is a mother to a daughter, who is in her second year in college in New York. The students are what drive Allen.

“My favorite part about teaching here [Aspen] is the kids. I have a lot of fun teaching when I teach and I think the kids are very responsive and want to learn. They always try their best and that is what I’m going to miss,” Allen said.

On November 24, when Allen makes her departure, student of all ages will miss her smiling face, and bubbling personality. She doesn’t have any set plans to return for a visit, but with her many friends in Aspen, she’s sure to be back sometime in the future. All in all, Allen will be greatly missed but her ten years spent here have been truly appreciated.