AHS Students Demand for School Safety on National School Walkout Day

Students+at+the+march+stand+in+the+snow+protesting+for+school+safety.+

Photo by Bella Hoffman

Students at the march stand in the snow protesting for school safety.

The color orange was alive, as AHS students chanted and marched to Peapke Park with large banners in their hands. On April 20, over half of the AHS student body participated in a school walkout protesting gun violence and advocating for school safety and stricter gun laws. Students said they were done patiently waiting for politicians actions. This walkout was set on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting, which left 15 dead. Students are now associating their schools with a place that is filled with fear. Aspen was one of many schools registered for National School Walkout Day.

Martin Horowitz, a local psychotherapist, spoke at the event about our culture’s glorification of war.

“There is a direct relationship with the student’s cause of banning assault weapons and our whole nation’s mentality about war,” Horowitz said.

Horowitz continued to motivate the students at the rally to fight for what they believe in and promote peace. Many students had signs aimed at politicians, including Congressman Scott Tipton who has received over $100,000 in his political career from the National Rifle Association.

Tharyn Mulberry, AHS principal, was inspired by the student body’s efforts at organizing the event.

“I certainly support any civic demonstration by kids. I think there’s nothing that teaches a student more than actually participating in a democratic process. This is one of those opportunities that comes along where they can participate in a national or state issue. They took it upon themselves to plan it, organize it, create all the speeches, and do all the analysis of the issues. I’m very proud of them,” Mulberry said.

Mulberry’s reaction to the rally was felt by teachers and students amongst the crowd. Many were surprised by the maturity and determination of the kids, including students. Mackenzi Hart, a sophomore at AHS, was honored to be apart of this march and its mark in history.

“I marched because I demand to see a change in our government’s gun laws because I want to go to school not fearing that a school shooter could end the life of me or somebody else. I think some of the other people’s reasons for marching were to get justice for the wrongs that our government is committing. The Second Amendment was made when you had to load your gun between each shot. Now we have assault weapons, which are made to rapidly kill. They’re called assault weapons for a reason,” Hart said.

Hart, like many students at AHS, feels threatened when stepping onto school grounds. Hart is hoping that the youth can make a strong enough impact on legislators to strengthen the current gun laws.

“ [Adults] will realize what they have decided to do and they must change this amendment or at least compromise with the people trying to make a change. The government should be aware we have a lot of power in small number. A small city like Aspen made the USA Today for this movement,” Hart said.