The Bass Drops and the Weekends Pop

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Bass Drops and the Weekends Pop

The AHS students enjoy lunch in the commons but are sad to not have their traditional Music Fridays.

Photo by Stefani Wojcik

Photo by Stefani Wojcik

Photo by Stefani Wojcik

Everyone loves Friday’s but AHS has taken lunch in the commons to a new level with students, and staff, freely dancing and singing along to a weekly music playlist.

Music Fridays have become an AHS weekly occurrence during lunch. This event is run by the student senate and has given students the luxury of sitting back and relaxing while listening to some of their favorite songs. The music must get authorization from administration, but, is mostly open to suggestions from the student body. Though this engaging student project was recently revoked, actions are taking place to reintegrate Music Friday’s.

Nick Galambos, AHS head boy and senior, is a strong advocate for student senate and is responsible for many of the school’s unified gatherings and events.

“Music Fridays have been both a tradition at AHS and a staple of student culture. I think music Fridays have always been about celebrating making it through each week and relaxing by having a bit of fun,” Galambos said.

Mary Tarver Reid, AHS head girl, works alongside Galambos to keep the school excited about activities such as Music Fridays.

“I think the main goal [of Music Fridays] is to have fun and come together. It is great to see everyone having a good time in the lunchroom, and it gets everyone excited to be with their friends on the weekends. Also, it builds excitement for weekend sports games,” Reid said.

Sarah Strassburger, assistant principal at AHS, is one of the administrators who have the authorization to approve of the music playlists before they are openly played.

“Music Fridays were born out of student senate- school leaders- who wanted to celebrate the end of the week. We love to see students laughing and enjoying music during lunch! The only thing we have ever asked is that the music is not inappropriate or offensive to any group of people,” Strassburger said.

Galambos and Reid are in charge of ensuring school spirit is passionate throughout the school. If these spirit-led ideas get out of control, consequences arise. Music Fridays were taken away after students disrespected their privilege.

“Music Fridays were on probation for a lot of reasons. Both Nick and I needed to be monitoring the situation better which we failed to do, also on our first Music Friday date, inappropriate music was playing and inappropriate dancing was in place,” Reid said.

Strassburger and her colleagues are fond of the Music Fridays spirit, however, are firm in depicting the flexibility to which rules must be followed.

“This revocation is not permanent; we just need students to be sensitive and respectful regarding what is appropriate and what music choices will appeal to everyone,” Strassburger said.

Stefani Wojcik, Staff Writer

Stefani is a sophomore at Aspen High School and this is her first year as a Staff Writer for the Skier Scribbler. She hopes to continue writing for the...