Balancing Intensive Athletics and Vigorous Academics during the Spring Sports Season

Photo by Stef Wojcik

A student-athlete rushes to after-school practice after a tough day of IB classes.

The combination of  IB classes and intensive sports is difficult for AHS students to balance and is even harder to maintain when important dates interfere with each other.

Throughout the seasons’ training and game schedules, students learn to prioritize. However, by the end of the season, IB exams and spring sport state championships interfere, creating a difficult decision for these student-athletes to make.

AHS senior, Mary Williams, plays #1 singles for the women’s tennis team. Heading into her final season of tennis with the addition of IB classes and exams, she hopes to succeed in both tennis and her academics.

“I take 5 IB classes and I have played two varsity sports all four years of high school. I have always enjoyed being a student-athlete and I think it has motivated me to push myself in many aspects of my life,” Williams said.

AHS alumni, Maria Budsey, had a disappointing past experience with the packed schedules after not being able to attend the 2018 tennis state championships.

“I think that the spring sports are great but I do believe that it is a little hard because of the big role that IB classes play and how they are much more important in the spring and trying to balance them with the sports is difficult,” Budsey said.

Charlie Campisi, also a senior faces difficult challenges during his senior year in not being able to attend some of the biggest games and training of the season.

“Seeing the hard work pay off by making it to playoffs and then potentially missing it because of the exams sucks. It is not how the season should be,” Campisi said.

Williams has struggled, like many other student-athletes, to find a settling approach to the system.

“I have always been a very hard working individual and held myself to high standards concerning sports and academic work. Tennis has always been a passion of mine and I will definitely be disappointed when I cannot participate in this tournament considering it could be the last time I competitively play tennis,” Williams said. “I think the scheduling of these exams added enormous amounts of stress to me during an academically demanding year of my life,” Williams said.

Budsey’s academics interfered with her season creating stress in attending every activity of the athletic term.

“During regionals for tennis since I knew I wouldn’t be able to attend states so there was definitely less motivation for my partner and me, though we did do well during the tournament if we could attend states I do believe we would’ve tried harder,” Budsey said.

Williams, on the other hand, feels motivated to make her last year a positive experience, even though she knows that she will no be able to attend the state championships.

“It is upsetting, for sure, to know I won’t even have the opportunity to play in states but knowing that I won’t be attending states won’t affect my drive to have a successful season. I want to make this an awesome year and make the most of it, even though I know I won’t be able to go to states,” Williams said.

Williams and Campisi work tirelessly to keep up with their doubled schedules but agree on ending senior year strong.

“I really have to be productive in and out of school to make sure I never get too behind but you want to make it the best season yet so by Spring I’m just trying to enjoy what is left of my senior year,” Campisi said.