Split Lunch: Split School

Mo Roach

Sophomore Griffin Gilkhrist and Junior Cameron Stover are very dissapointed because they have split lunch and there is no more food for them.

Imagine walking into the commons, craving a scrumptious hot meal. You’ve been waiting all day for that one delicious and filling tray of food, but when you walk up to the lunch line, everything you wanted is gone. You’re forced to settle for something less and it’s all because you have split lunch.

Split lunch has many flaws to it. One being that you can’t always have your choice of food. If you have the second lunch of the day, most of the school has already swept through the lunch line and has grabbed the good grub.

Another commonly known flaw that comes along with split lunch is the people. Some kids are the only one in their friend group with a split lunch. This forces them to eat alone and not enjoy lunch with their friends on that given day. Now, maybe it’s good to get out of your comfort zone and eat with other students, but if you’re shy, split lunch equals lonely lunch.

One of the biggest defects of split lunch is the educational damage. Going to class for 45minutes, taking a 40minute break, and then returning to that class certainly makes me forget everything I learned. It’s down right disruption of education and I for one think it’s unfair to the students who have split lunch. Not to mention the constant schedule changes that came hand in hand with split lunch this year.

Now, I’m not only typing about how I hate split lunch, (which I do) I’m here to make suggestions. The first and most expensive option is to get rid of split lunch, making our student body feel whole again, and expanding our high school. I mean, isn’t it about time the school expands anyway? Every year I hear about how the freshmen class has the most number of students coming into the high school. That would mean every year our student population increases. Shouldn’t the area we learn in as well?

My next best suggestion would be to expand where we eat. Basically, put tables and chairs in nearby areas around the commons. All throughout my high school career students have eaten outside the cafeteria. If we put some actual lunch structure around the commons, we could all eat lunch at the same time, in the same general location, without fire hazards.

Clearly, I’m not the biggest fan of split lunch. I just enjoy having a full common area where I know I’m able to find any student at any given time. I’d like our school to be united and split lunch…well splits us up.