The Commons: more sustianable than you think

Photo by Oliver Semple

The commons after lunch once students have returned to classes.

Three students at AHS are currently working on improving the commons, but many students are unaware of the kitchen staff’s current efforts.

The students who are running the commons improvement initiative kickstarted their project in Diane Godfrey’s design thinking class. A few of the group’s main goals include reduction of plastic use, cheaper prices, more varied food options, shorter lines, more chairs, and rectangular tables instead of round tables; however, many of these problems may have already been tackled by Tenille and her lunch crew.

Tennille Folk, the ASD food service director, prioritizes both sustainability and students.

“The only plastic we have is in the cafe because that stuff is grab and go,” Folk said. “We have 90% compostable packaging. Additionally, most of the other products from the cafe are recyclable. Cutlery in the Cafe, [has to be] plastic because people tend to take the cutlery and throw it away.”

Lindy Morton, a member of the kitchen staff, wants students to know more about the kitchen’s efforts.

“We are a very compost-friendly school; it just depends on the students composting and us [the kitchen],” Morton said.

Many students also want to see new additions to the menu, but they are unaware that the kitchen staff is open to menu suggestions, and they purposefully keep their doors open to everyone. Students have also been quick to complain about long lunch lines, but fail to recognize recognizing that students who cut the line are the problem, and not the kitchen staff’s efficiency.

“We get through a lunch line within ten minutes of lunch starting,” Morton said.

The kitchen staff prides itself on the quality and preparation of food at AHS.

“We try to get you guys the best, all our [food] is really fresh,” Morton said.

“We don’t serve out of a box, we cook everything from scratch,” Folk added.

For those looking to find a more affordable lunch option, hot lunch is $6.50 and includes a hot entree, the salad bar, and milk.

Many students complain about the price of food in the Cafe; however, the lunch staff cannot change the prices of items they don’t make such as chips or juice.

“You’re paying for packaging,” Folk said when commenting on the cafe prices.