Aspen Takes New York

Photo courtesy of Eric Abrahamovich

The students and Bonadies smile while on the set of CNBC’s Fast Money, a television show that documents and analyzes stocks.

The business program at AHS has been very fortunate to receive a trip to New York, for a limited number of students, in years past and again this year. Chris Bonadies, a business teacher, has been taking a select number of students to New York for a learning experience in the business world.

The trip is sponsored by Reese Henry Accounting, making the experience free of charge, and therefore, available to all students who qualify. The trip is designed to introduce students to different career opportunities in the bustling city of New York. Students experience multiple corporate cultures, meet young business men and women to ask questions, and learn about the different styles of business. The trip also allows students to confirm their ideas about business careers and whether or not to pursue them.

Not only is the trip designed to educate students in the financial world, but students also get to experience New York in a different light. Students not only get to visit the major business hubs in the city, like the stock exchange and corporate offices, but they also enjoy themselves and remain busy with various activities. Students go ice skating and to a Broadway production, all while experiencing different cultures within the city along the way.

“The trip allows students to learn about business, culture, and food, all while remaining busy for the four days that we are in the city [New York],” Bonadies said.

Students who have gone on the trip in years past, have found the experience to be very valuable.

“The trip was amazing! You get to really experience New York with the finest restaurants and meetings with the leaders for large companies such as Wells Fargo, CNBC and KKR. You also get to stay in the middle of Times Square,” senior Megan Woodrow said.

Although there is a strict application process that determines which students will be accepted onto the trip and which will not, the only reason behind this, it is to determine who would benefit the most from the experience.

The committee of Reese Henry Partners and Bonadies, review all of the applications.

“We look for students who have demonstrated an interest in business and are hard workers. The final group of students will be a diverse, gender balanced group,” Bonadies said.

Only juniors and seniors can apply, but there are few other limitations as to the type of students welcome. The process includes writing an essay, answering questions, and filling out the application itself.

“The application process is simple and more than worth it for the chance to go on this incredible trip,” senior Henry Woodrow said, after experiencing the trip first hand last year.

The trip to New York is designed to be a valuable experience for students interested in business, supplying them with background knowledge and propelling them into a future career.