The student news site of Aspen High School

Aspen’s Musical Events in The Summer of 23′

Sara Michelin
The Lumineers perform during the Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience on Friday, September 1, 2023, in Snowmass Village.

What makes summer in Aspen special is the music. If you decided to add magic to your summer this year, you might have attended some concerts. If you couldn’t make it to any of the musical events in Aspen, then here’s an overview of the shows you missed this summer.

Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience (September 1-3) While we dodged the rain storm Friday night when The Lumineers played, a lightning storm rolled in late Sunday afternoon, causing Billy Idol and Foo Fighters fans to evacuate the venue until further notice. The JAS Labor Day Experience is one of the most popular annual events in the Roaring Fork Valley. This year’s line-up included Old Dominion, Brothers Osborne, Billy Idol, Grace Potter, Foo Fighters, The Lumineers, James Bay, and Jade Jackson. Whether or not you purchased the whole weekend’s worth of tickets or just one show, It was definitely a weekend to remember.

Bluegrass Sundays (June 18-September 3) If you took a ride up the Silver Queen on a Sunday afternoon, you definitely heard bands like the Smuggler Mountain Boys, The Dirty Grass Players, and many more. A wide selection of food and drinks at the sundeck, and the beautiful Elk Mountain Range as a backdrop make for a good way to spend a relaxing afternoon with family and friends.

Music on the Mountain Classical Saturdays (July 1-August 12) If you couldn’t get enough of the weekly Sunday performances atop Aspen Mountain, there were also weekly Saturday shows. These concerts were free to anybody who bought a gondola ticket or used their ski pass from the ski season. Starting at 1 p.m., you could hear melodies made by the next generation of brass, woodwind, string, piano, and vocal artists.

Jazz Aspen Snowmass (June 22-25) Jazz Aspen Snowmass, also known as “JAS,” offered a weekend of performances across 10 different venues including the Belly Up, the Wheeler Opera House, 39 Degrees at W Hotel, Limelight Hotel, the Bad Harriet, located downstairs at the Hotel Jerome, and more. The Belly Up hosted shows starring American Jam Band, Galactic, and Blues artist, Ruthie Foster. GRAMMY-winner and Latin Jazz artist Eliane Elias at Wheeler Opera House, keyboard and organ legend Tony Monaco at Bon Bon, plus many more. Whether you choose to go to one show or get a VIP pass to access all of them, the JAS June Experience was an opportunity to discover new artists.

Aspen Music Festival (June 29-August 20) Every year since 1949, the Aspen Music Festival and School hosts a summer music season featuring concerts throughout Aspen. Artists ranging from renowned orchestras to jazz musicians from around the U.S. played in the famed Benedict Tent, Harris Concert Hall, and Wheeler Opera House, as well as smaller venues throughout the valley. Audra Mcdonald, known for her work on Broadway, was featured in an orchestra event. She and other musicians performed classics from popular Broadway shows and songs from the Great American Songbook.

Snowmass Thursday Concert Series (June 15-August 24) The Snowmass Summer Concert Series was a local favorite. Providing free concerts on Fanny Hill airing new artists every Thursday at 5:30. If you attended the August 10th concert, you would have heard LowDown Brass Band. What made this band stand out from the others is its strong representation of Chicago’s music culture. It’s a mix of reggae, hip-hop, and jazz.

If you missed any of these events, don’t worry! They’ll be back next year! But, if you can’t wait, the Belly Up has endless shows all year round to enjoy.