Gratitude During the Holidays

Photo by Rylee Smith
Students stroll through the halls, preparing for the upcoming winter season and time with one another.

The snow is falling and the string lights are displayed across trees and lamp poles every which way, signaling the arrival of another holiday season. This season consists of major holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and more. The holiday season is a period of gratitude, centered around the importance of being in the presence of loved ones.

In definition, gratitude is defined as the “quality of being thankful” accompanied by a readiness to, “show appreciation for and to return kindness.” Now, this is the general definition given by a generic Google search and Oxford language, yet it describes this gratitude as both something to receive and simultaneously give. Gratitude is an important concept in our society today in order that we may grow in authenticity through the simple expression of one’s thanks toward life.
Though gratitude may look different depending upon the individual, it all surrounds a general appreciation for what and who we have.

Senior Ella Pendarvis defined this gratitude as, “recognizing the things in your life that are important and feeling the full impact of how they have benefited and changed your life.”
Whether it’s a family dinner, a laugh with a friend, a meal, the outdoors, or a simple breath, gratitude should become a crucial part of not only the holiday season but our everyday activities. Not to say that in some ways it may be difficult to feel, yet when we take a second to look around at what we have been given, it has the ability to change both our outlooking perspective and interaction with others.

Senior, Zala Smalls defines this gratitude as, “a conscious and aware thought,” and for her, this includes, “ the environment and the places that I have grown up in and how they have shaped me. I am also grateful for my family and all that they have done and made possible for me.”
Gratitude can revolve around objects, experiences, and most importantly people. Similar to gratitude, the holiday season is also associated with giving back to those around you.

Senior, RJ Stoll explained his expression of thanks as, “giving back to my family through cooking dinner, cleaning up the house, and keeping my room in order, just to make sure they are happy.”
In this holiday season, snow indefinitely surrounds our valley which is one of the many reasons one might feel gratitude. Stoll added, “I am grateful for the beautiful place we live in, the mountains, and I am definitely more grateful during the winter, being able to go skiing and spend time with my friends on the mountain.”

Other students described their expression of gratitude by telling others they love them and being there for them.
Staff member Nadia Vonderhaar said, “I am grateful for my family and for the people whom I love. I don’t think it is necessarily connected to particular seasons of the year. It is truly about the people in my life.”
Though gratitude is often a repeating emblem during the holiday season, it does not necessarily depend upon the season surrounding us but rather a decisive choice to appreciate everything from simple to large details within our outer environment and inner community.

Small actions like a hug, being a helping hand, or just directly telling others you are grateful can be used to express one’s thanks toward these gifts. Or maybe it is just internal knowledge that they/it is valuable.

Senior, Montana Flynn added, “I make sure I say I love you and thank you and try to give back to the ones who gave to me.”
So here’s your time to take a second and think. Think about someone who makes you happy or something that you enjoy doing, or an opportunity you were given…the list goes on. Though gratitude may be hard at times, it can be beneficial to slow down and realize how far you may have come and how it was made possible through the support around us and the things we love, driving us to become our very best. After all, life should be about love and appreciation for what we value.