A Look Inside Marriott International

Courtesy of St. Regis website
The Marriott-branded St. Regis hotel lit up on Dean Street in Aspen

Living in a resort town like Aspen, hotel lodging plays a large part in the local economy. Everyone knows that most hotels are high-end brands with luxurious amenities. However, not everyone knows that several of the hotels are owned by the Marriott Brand.

In the ever-evolving landscape of hospitality, one name is world-renowned, Marriott International. Marriott has not only created the standards of excellence but continues to innovate and redefine the guest experience. Marriott International traces its roots back to 1927 when J. Willard Marriott and his wife (Alice) opened a nine-seat root beer stand in Washington, D.C. From this modest beginning a legacy of hospitality would shape the industry for generations to come.

Marriott International has constructed a portfolio of 30 brands, spanning over 7,600 properties in more than 130 countries and territories. From luxury resorts to budget-friendly accommodations, Marriott caters to every traveler’s needs and preferences. Iconic brands like The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, and JW Marriott exemplify luxury and sophistication. Several of which are located locally in Aspen and attract a global crowd.

A large part of the Marriott brand is high luxury accommodations. Specifically, at the St. Regis in Aspen, tradition is highly valued on a daily basis. At 315 E Dean Street, at the base of Aspen Mountain, you can find the four star resort. The hotel is made up of 179 luxury rooms, suites, and residences. Each bedspread features 400-thread-count Frette linens and custom furnishings by Ralph Lauren. However, the original St. Regis hotel was established in New York long before it reached Aspen. The St. Regis New York can be found at 2 East 55th Street, at the southeast corner with Fifth Avenue, in the Midtown Manhattan neighborhood of New York City. This hotel was originally developed by John Jacob Astor IV in 1904.

Even though the locations are separate, all St. Regis hotels around the world share the same values and traditions throughout the property. The Bloody Mary cocktail is evidently promoted as its origin dates back to 1934 in The St. Regis New York’s King Cole Bar and still remains the signature cocktail of the St. Regis. Although, depending on the location in the world, a local twist is incorporated into the cocktail. For example, In Osaka a Shogun Mary is prepared with wasabi and soy sauce. On the island of Mauritius, La Belle Creole Mary includes a combo of plantation rum and aloe vera. In Shenzhen, the Yan Mary comes with a side order of fresh oysters. Each hotel is made up of tradition but in its own way.

Additionally, the hotel’s dining experiences follow a nightly schedule just as the Astor family did. The afternoon tea became a favorite pastime of many Gilded Age figures including Caroline Astor. She spread to her husband’s hotel, The St. Regis New York. Even today, it is a joyful occasion and an opportunity to host gatherings, as she did with close friends before her grand galas. Following afternoon tea is the iconic St. Regis Belgrade’s Sabrage Evening Ritual. Basically, guests are invited to gather to see champagne be cut open with a long sword. The occasion is meant to mark the transition from day to evening as Caroline Astor would gather her friends and family for a toast with champagne opened by a saber.

All of which can be found locally in Aspen; traditions, sabering, tea parties, custom bedrooms, and much more brought to the town by Marriott International.

As Marriott International looks to the future, its vision remains clear, continuing hospitality excellence and shaping the way the world travels and experiences accommodation. From embracing emerging technologies like artificial intelligence and augmented reality to exploring new frontiers in experiential travel and sustainable tourism, Marriott has shown poised leadership in the industry toward a new era of hospitality innovation.