Bring Back Riding the Bus

Maddie Mcallister

For 13 years of my life, I took the bus every day. It was a total of two hours, one there, one back. DependingDepending on the weather or the bus driver’s mood, it may give or take an additional 20 minutes. The bus was a great time in my life. I made many new friends, broke many temple run records, and even met my first crush. The 7:15 am pick-up was a significant blow, but on Friday, my Dad would let us get doughnuts which made up for it. While the bus was great, it had its flaws. Loud, cold, and did I already mention loud? However, those are simple things that we as humans can look past.

Our newest dilemma at Aspen High School isseems to be a parking issue. AHS has generously offered 200 yards for juniors to park. Usually, the rim is the prime and well-awaited parking spot for the juniors of AHS, yet it seems every sophomore is turning sixteen this week and needs to drive to school. And while this method of parking has worked SO well for us in the past, with more cars piling up, I have come up with a more long-term solution.

It’s called, hear me out…, riding the bus. When did riding the bBus become uncool? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I would rather be in my car every day listening to my music, but if we all took the bus? It could be fun.

Think about it. There are so many advantages. No more need to split up when you can fit 72 of your closest friends in one whip. Bye-bye gas money, and hello to a new Lego set or a fresh pair of sneakers. Taking the bus county lines to eliminate problems. The bus provides plenty of tutoring options forfrom upper-level students and the occasional 9th-grade math prodigy. On top of that, the bus driver always has nice things to say. “Hey kids, don’t keep your feet in the aisle” and “Next stop, Snowmass Rec Centerrec center.” To me, these sound like nothing but love!

In my opinion, the bus has so much potential to be fantastic. Think about those cold, long winters. Having to wake up an extra 30 minutes early so that you can start your car and defrost your windshield. Instead, you can hop on the nicely heated bus and enjoy a smooth ride to school. Another positive addition to riding the bus would be the removal of traffic. Who will say no to being on time for a full 90 minutes of the first period…not me?

I don’t know about you, but the bus is looking pretty good right now, or at least until my parents want to start buying my gas again. So if we all make a pact to ride together, it could be great! And before we know it, the bus will be excellent again! Remember, only three to a seat!