Taggart Solomon Prepares For His Future

%0ATaggart+Solomon+sprints+ahead+in+track+practice.+

Photo courtesy of Taggart Solomon

Taggart Solomon sprints ahead in track practice.

Guitar everyday, varsity track and cross country six days a week, and straight As (for the most part) with three IB classes, Taggart Solomon seems fit to apply to any college of his choice. Instead, Solomon has a dream of going to one of the six senior military schools in order to join the military.

In addition to working at the Little Nell over the summer, running and being a camp counselor at a leadership camp at the CMC in Leadville, Solomon also attended a military leadership camp at Norwich University, one of the top military universities in the country.

At Norwich, Solomon learned what it was like to live in a military atmosphere.  In addition to a variety of things, he learned military leadership, customs, drill and ceremony, marksmanship, climbing, repelling, land navigation and attention to detail. Although extremely difficult both mentally and physically, Solomon wishes to pursue a career in the field due to his dedication.

“It was non-stop yelling. No matter what we did it was wrong. It’s all about trying to break us down like they would in the real military. That being said, I loved that way of life.” says Solomon of his experience at Norwich.

Especially after his experience this summer, he is positive he wants to join the military in the future.

An answer that can become more convoluted is why.  He does not want to take another’s life, but to defend the U.S, its constitution, morals and values, he would.  Solomon believes that this way of living, democracy and what the United States stands for is the best way.

“We as humans have basic unalienable rights, which our current enemy, the radical Islamists, are stripping from millions. They are also violently lashing out at those who don’t share their beliefs.  I want to defend our beautiful way of life and sometimes the best offense is the best defense, so I want to go out and get those bad guys,” Solomon explained.

Along with his passion for the military, Solomon loves to run. It wasn’t until his freshmen year of high school when he began. He was one of two freshmen to receive a varsity letter. After that, his obsession really began. He competes varsity and has been for the last few years.  He is also co-captain of the cross-country team.

“For that 50 minutes or hour I’m out there running, it’s just me. No one else matters. Nothing else matters. Not school, friends, girls, family, politics.  Nothing. I’m free when I run,” Solomon said.

With all this, and two hours of guitar everyday (at least that’s his goal) he is still able to fit homework and the daily happening of being in High School into his busy schedule.