The Republican and Democrat Clubs of AHS

Students from the AHS Democrats Club pose with Marcia Neal after a Young Republicans Club meeting. From left,  Marta Galambos, Beauregard Burckart, Marcia Neal, and Brian Alvarez.

Laura Wolf

Students from the AHS Democrats Club pose with Marcia Neal after a Young Republicans Club meeting. From left, Marta Galambos, Beauregard Burckart, Marcia Neal, and Brian Alvarez.

For the first time at AHS, Republican and Democratic Clubs have been formed. I spoke with Evan Morris of the Young Republicans Club and Francesca Olivos of the AHS Democratic Club, about their respective purposes, activities, and goals.

Person Interviewed: Evan Morris

Where and when does the Young Republicans Club meet?

“The club meets at 2:00 PM on Wednesdays in room 1219.”

Who started the club and why?

“Frieda Wallison, the chair of the Pitkin County Republicans started the club along with Carol Jenkins, Dawn Lamping and Shelly Hamill. They started it in order to give students an opportunity to learn about politics, have political discussions and meet prominent people in the business and political world.”

Do you think the club is strictly Republican, or is there room for both parties at the meetings?

“Our meetings are open to anyone interested in hearing the awesome speakers that we bring in.”

Who are some notable speakers the club has brought?

“Most recently we had Marcia Neal, Colorado State Board of Education Vice-Chair for Congressional District Three come to a Young Republicans Club meeting to speak with us. Before that Peter Wallison, who served as White House counsel to President Ronald Reagan, attended one of our meetings. The speakers in general are really great.”

What does the average meeting look like?

“There’s usually about 10 kids at the meetings. We discuss a variety of topics like education, privacy policies etc. and often have speakers. There is always pizza and drinks.”

Why should students join?

“Students should join if they have interest in politics and policy. You don’t have to know if you’re a Republican to join.”

What do you want students to walk away with after each club meeting?

“I want them to feel as if they are educating themselves while also enjoying themselves. The Young Republicans Club offers a lot of really cool opportunities to hear extremely intelligent people speak, and I hope everyone appreciates how lucky we are to have them.”

Person Interviewed: Francesca Olivos

Where and when does the club meet?

“Wednesday’s 2:00 PM in room 1239.”

Who started the club and why?

“I started it, with the help from a fellow Democrat who just graduated. I receive support and advisement from the Pitkin Country Democrats, primarily the chair Blanca O’Learly. I started the club after the November elections. I made pins for Udall and ‘proud Democrats’. I ran out, but kids would remove them or hide them to avoid confrontation from the young republicans. I came to the realization that it was because we had a lack of community and support from one another to express our belief’s. So, I created the club to create a supportive community and get passionate students educated on the subject and involved as much as possible.”

Do you think the club is strictly democrat, or is there room for both parties at the meetings?

“It’s open to everyone I would say. Our speakers are bipartisan. But we do work with the Democrats of Aspen for opportunities and kids who want to be involved.”

Involved in what way?

“As I mentioned we receive support from the Pitkin County Democrats. Members are invited to events and other opportunities. For example this Tuesday students will be attending the Pitkin County Democrats executive committee elections. The club is new so there haven’t been many events but in the past for example I’ve been able to meet our state senators and representative at events.”

“Well, we’re new, but so far we’ve had a speaker and snacks, we also have organizational meetings to see who kids want brought in to speak and methods for expansion.”

Why should students join?

“I think it’s important to be educated about government and political system. Personally, I think it goes hand in hand with being a good citizen. However, I think students should join because they care and are passionate. If so, our club gives them the opportunity to educate themselves beyond the classroom and get involved in our community and making a difference.”

Could you expand on what making a difference would mean in this case?

“I guess that’s kinda vague. The idea for that is that we are the future. If we want to see certain change or encourage certain existing behavior we have to get involved so we can push towards achieving such visions.”

“Knowledge and confidence. Knowledge in the subjects at hand and confidence from the gained knowledge and sense of support and community.”