AHS Republicans to Tour Washington DC

Students at a meeting listen to Ben Collins, a Green Beret in the military and a successful entrepreneur who ran for Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin.

Shelly Hamill

For the first time, about ten members of the Young Republicans Club of AHS will be visiting Washington DC April 29th-May 3rd. There, they will explore the city, meet politicians and tour the renowned buildings, museums and monuments of our nation’s capitol.

“We have a really unique opportunity to visit in the capitol with some of our representatives in Colorado who just won the elections and are serving our country and our state so we’re excited to see them,” said Shelly Hamill, club adviser and chaperone to the D.C. trip.

The students have displayed great interest in government, so, students and club advisers planed a trip to the capitol. In order to pay for the expenses of the trip, the club will be selling movie theater popcorn and pizza slices during both lunches in the commons in weeks leading up to the trip.

“I would like to have a better understanding of how DC works behind the scenes,” senior Piper Hamill said.

Some of the members of the club are interested in going into politics when they’re older.

“It’s definitely an option. I’ve always been very interested in policy and feel like our country is going to need strong leaders from our generation. I think it will be very beneficial to visit DC. It will be really cool to see congress and visit the White House,” senior and club president, Evan Morris said.

In DC, students will meet politicians Cory Gardner and Scott Tipton and tour the Capitol Building. They will visit the White House, Library of Congress, American Enterprise Institute and the Supreme Court. Students will also have the opportunity to see the sites and monuments in DC.

“I really hope that they will come away excited and energized about politics in the United States and understanding that they have the opportunity to serve and that it’s part of our rights as Americans,” Shelly Hamill said.