AHS Print Shop Now Hiring

Your patience level drastically decreases as the copy machine spits out another piece of blank paper, but to your advantage, the print shop worker swoops in and saves your essay. Aspen High School’s print shop is offering jobs for the first time to students who would like to earn a little extra money during their free period. It is offered to all students but freshmen, who will have to wait a year to get the luxury of making money at school. This is the first year AHS has ever presented this opportunity and many kids have already jumped on the job.

Working there is a great way to learn about technology while making money, but to receive a paycheck, there is a certain amount of work involved.

“The work requirements for this position include the following: Be physically present in the Print Shop (PS) for the entirety of any committed period; maintain a work schedule showing periods worked as well as future commitments. Manage the PS printers by clearing jams, reloading paper, and sorting print jobs,” Application to Print Shop said.

It doesn’t just end there. Student workers are expected to help the students with any needs they have regarding printing and keeping the print shop clean. Also on occasion, they must help the technology specialist, David Sellmeyer, with any tasks he needs accomplished.

“The print shop is a place where students can come and get help with technology. Folks working here should be able to aid the students and try to fix their problems,” Sellmeyer said.

Each student working gets their paycheck at the end of the month. The amount of money depends on their grade level and the number of free periods they worked. Seniors get paid $10, juniors $9, and sophomores $8 per free period, though it is not a strict working schedule.

“You get to pick and choose the free periods you work, but first you have to let the boss, David, know,” Coghlan said.

Not only does working in the print shop give you the opportunity to receive a paycheck, but you could also count your hours working as service hours instead of getting paid. There is even the chance to receive elective credit for working. The students also learn a lot from the job.

“It’s been enjoyable learning about technology and the school’s way of dealing with simple issues; like giving each kid in the school a laptop,” senior print shop worker Max Coghlan said.

This opportunity tries to introduce work ethic in students with a goal of taking this job as seriously as you would an after school job. But there is always the possibility of getting fired.

“Any employer should reserve the right to send their employees packing but the expectations are age appropriate. We definitely have standards and work hard to make sure the students meet those standards,” Sellmeyer said.

Sophomore Henry Godfrey hurries to fix the printer jam.

The idea of having kids working in the print shop started back in 2005 but did not come into effect until this year. Student fees make it possible for the other students to get paid while working.

With every period except seventh having a student worker in the print shop, this year things have been running much more smoothly and there isn’t such a big need for Sellmeyer to be in multiple places at once. Hopefully this new work opportunity with continue on for many years to come at AHS continually benefitting the school.