The student news site of Aspen High School

Not All Hero’s Wear Capes

Maddie Mcallister

When it was time to pick a new article topic for the paper’s issue, I was puzzled. I wanted to write about something funny, cool, and overall just amazing, but writing an article about yourself isn’t something most people wanna read. So I was stumped again. What’s great? What’s amazing? And then it hit me.

Fathers are nothing short of superheroes. Well, minus the powers, the toned muscle, oh, and the cool outfits. Okay, maybe they come across as more of a sidekick. While all fathers might not be “Super”, I can say without hesitation that fathers are in fact, heroes.

Their heroic acts come in many forms. To start, they love to announce how early they wake up. We get it, “The city needs saving”. Next, They have a spider sense for any and every light in the house. Don’t worry the dads will turn them off, even when you need the light to study for your chemistry final. And lastly, they will always warn you when a reality TV show is a bad news, and they will be sure to watch it from afar, with a bowl of popcorn, just to make sure you are “okay”.

Setting all jokes aside, any man can become a parent, but it takes an extra special person to be a “Dad”. My father was the first man I knew, and the first man I loved. He continues to teach me right from wrong, but will always be there for me even when I make a mistake. He fixes what’s broken, he laughs when I fall, and he is sure to work hard so my family will be great. And I know that my favorite part of my day is when someone tells me “ You are just like your father.” I wouldn’t have it any other way.

So to all Dads, I am proud of you. While we may have outgrown your lap, I know we will never outgrow your hearts. So continue to care, continue to laugh, and continue to slowly figure out social media. And never stop growing, because we will always look up to you. And to my Dad, Thank you for the love you have given me and everyone else around you. You are the hardest worker I know. Happy Birthday, 50… I mean 37 has never looked better.