AHS Homework Survey is Underway

The AHS Leadership Committee, comprised of teachers Liz Bollinger, Karen Zohar, Jennifer Morandi-Benson, and Eric Lamb, is tackling the task of evaluating the homework load at AHS, and the impact of homework on students’ stress levels and overall well being. AHS students and parents have expressed concern about the homework burden at school, especially after the recent schedule change. Earlier this month, students were asked to fill out online surveys detailing their daily homework assignments and noting how much time they spend on individual assignments.

The survey was available to students for a two week period in early December. Students were encouraged to fill out a short questionnaire on the AHS website after completing homework assignments each evening. Eighty percent of the student body actively participated and submitted surveys on a nearly daily basis during the survey period. In early January, the Leadership Committee will evaluate the survey results and come up with some solutions.

The ultimate goal of this project is to identify just how much homework is absolutely necessary to reinforce classroom learning.

Principal Tharyn Mulberry identifies two reasons to evaluate the homework load at AHS. First, for two consecutive years, the number one complaint cited by students in the yearly AHS survey was that teachers assigned more homework than was necessary. Second, a large number of teachers at AHS have children attending school in the district. These teachers have noticed that their children’s homework burden is both stressful and not always constructive. That is not to say that Mulberry is considering abolishing homework. He is merely trying to figure out, with input from students and teachers, how much homework is truly necessary.

“Almost every employee has children attending our schools. I think that creates a uniquely powerful community dynamic,” said Principal Mulberry. “Also, students should value the opportunity to express their qualms in homework surveys.”

Jennifer Morandi-Benson, a history teacher and member of the Leadership Committee, wants to determine whether negative feedback about homework is legitimate or just typical griping from students.

“Creating a sense of balance for our students should be a primary concern for our teachers at AHS,” said Morandi-Benson. “This survey will identify if students feel they receive more homework than necessary and, ultimately, if students benefit from the assignments they receive.”

Teacher Karen Zohar is the leader of the homework initiative. She stresses the importance of evaluating the results of the survey in a thoughtful, deliberate way.  

“There’s legitimate distress and concern,” said Zohar. “But we need to explore the causes of it and we don’t have those answers yet. We will be analyzing data over the next two weeks until final exams. We hope to implement our findings during the second semester.”  

Zohar hopes the homework initiative starts a useful conversation about homework policy.

“Contrary to what students believe, teachers are actually on their side and want them to be successful,” Zohar said.