The student news site of Aspen High School

More Kahan Please

Noah Kahan singing

Noah Kahan singing "Young Blood."

Noah Kahan singing "Young Blood."

The crowd slowly built on and around the main floor. The blue lights from the stage reflected off of the casually growing audience: a stage assistant worked on testing all the instruments and microphones. Everyone giggled and prepared to hear “Milky Chance”, the band who had sold out the venue weeks before. In order to pass the anxious waiting time the slow rumble of voices began to ask who the opener was. Our questions were quickly answered by a young man walking onto the stage, casually dressed, with a guitar slung over his shoulder. Quietly and humbly he walked up to the microphone, cleared his throat, and began to sing.

The whole venue turned on cue, matching a face to the voice. Noah Kahan, the name we learned shortly after as the unknown artist with long dark shaggy hair, kept the entire crowd leaned forward at an attempt to grow closer to his incredible voice.

Born in a small town in Vermont, Kahan said he had grown up in a way Aspen locals could only relate to. He then strummed his guitar and let his hair fall forward over his eyes while he serenaded eager ears with a song about frostbite.

There are very few voices that have the ability to fill a room. Kahan stopped all side conversations, and subtly demanded attention to his incredible talent without even trying. The louder and more passionate he got he closed his eyes and became engrossed into the radiating positive vibes of the room. Those in attendance could only feel the same harmony. His deeply passionate and internal love for the art of making music emanated through his Indie music while we were left only wanting more time with him.  

In closing, he finished with his most popular song, “Young Blood.” The masses beneath tried to sing along with what repetition they could find. He announced we could find him on Spotify and then thanked us, turned on his heels, and slowly and calmly retreated from the scene. Bright lights shone, and in just the half a dozen people directly around me three of them had already pulled out their phones to find Kahan online, myself being one of them.

His only song posted anywhere that I can find, and I have searched high and low, is “Young Blood,”  his closing. I have already listened to it on repeat to an extent at which I can now hum an almost perfect melody to his gift of a voice. I only hope for him to release more. With just one song on the charts, he already has a few thousand following him. Imagine what ten could do.

Noah Kahan, please release more. We are looking for you.